The National Chincoteague Pony Association --
Aptitudes, Notable Physical
& Temperamental Characteristics
COLOR: Mostly pinto and paint.
- PAINT: skewbald &
piebald, (black & white only).
- PINTO: Ovaro- solid color with
- Tobiano- white base with colored
patches of solid color or roan.
- Other colors:
- Palamino to Dark Bay on white.
Dark Red on white (tobiano), with black
- Strawberry roan on white tobiano.
- Solid Black.
- Solid Sorrel with flaxen mane and
- Solid Chestnut with flaxen mane
The ponies colorfully marked coat is a
particular favorite in pony halter
- Well proportioned, strong and
- Standing 14.2 hands and under. A
hand is 4 inches. Measured by holding four fingers together on their
- weight - 800 to 900 pounds.
- One - two cow licks on forehead.
- Extra thick mane and tail.
- Light Fetlock Feathering.
- Tail sits low on the rump.
- Well rounded rump.
- Chincoteague Ponies have strong
- A unique style and balanced
- Long distance runners
- Extra long tails and manes.
- Tails Flag
Chincoteague Pony Foals weigh around 50 - 60 lbs at birth. We ship them to
their new owners at 6 months of age. At that time they weigh around 150 lbs.
The Chincoteague Pony can gallop
very fast for horses their size.
- Good nature, kind, sweet and
- Highly intelligent and versatile.
- Well suited for children.
- Performs well in hunt seat,
jumping, driving, and trail riding.
Under English or Western Saddle.
- Puppy Dog personality.
- Very brave and honorable.
- Loves to play and learn new things.
- Will keep their stall, paddock, or
pasture clean by using one
corner for feces matter.
- A good keeper as the pony requires
less food than a full grown horse.
- Fresh water, weed patch, hay and
grain will do. There is a saying "The Chincoteague Pony can get
fat on a cement slab."
- During the Winter months, the
ponies will grow a heavy coat of hair. They will become shaggy in
Honey of Chincoteague and
stud foal Crackerjack
Ginger of Assateague
Mare, 5 years of age
Black Gold, B.G.
800 Pounds, 14.2 Hands Tall
SeaFoam Yearling Stud Colt
Stallion, 7 years of age
B.G. Black Gold in Show Braids.
The Chincoteague Pony can do it all
in the show arenas.
Betz of Chincoteague, Mare 5 years old
During the winter months the ponies grow lots of hair
Crackerjack of Assateague, 12 year old
14.2 hands and 900 lbs
Foal on the Chincoteague Pony Farm
Chincoteague Pony Farm Trucking Hay
Ginger and her filly foal,
Nutmeg only a day old
Teri Harderson, Seattle, on Chincoteague
Pony Rainy. Teri owns Rainy, who is 18 years
of age and they are doing Pole Eventing
Pole Bending at Green River Saddle Club, 4-H show.
Island Jet Colt newly born. Born
on The National
Chincoteague Pony Farm in Bellingham, WA.
Island Jet age 22 months. Lives on Decatur
Island, WA. Owned by Sarah and Morgan Jones.
Copyright © 1998 - 2004 - 2008 The National Chincoteague Pony